Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Miracle on 34th Street

Any Marylanders will know about this...I don't think it's as well known nationally as it is in the state. But I thought it would bring a little holiday cheer, I know going to visit this street always puts a smile on my face...


34th Street in Hampden, which is a small neighborhood in Baltimore, is famous for it's VERY over the top Christmas light display. It's all row houses and every single house on the street does super crazy lights. I think they've been doing it for over 60 years. Literally, I believe it's written in your homeowner's agreement when you buy a house on that street that you have to participate and go all out on your lights. It attracts hundreds (maybe thousands) of visitors each year that drive and walk through the street. Alot of the houses actually let you walk through them, because they'll set up very elaborate displays even inside the house.


They start putting up the displays in the fall and work on it non-stop to get it ready for the Saturday after Thanksgiving, when they always have a kick off when everyone turns their lights on at the same time, which signals the start of the season. They leave them up till usually right after New Years Eve, so there's plenty of time for tons of people to come visit. It seriously is something you have to see to believe and appreciate! Some of it is tacky (there's a tree made from hubcaps), but it's just so many lights and displays, you can't help but love it!


We went up one time when I was a little girl and I was in complete awe. Since Jake's family lives up in Baltimore, we've now gone up the last 3 years together and it's somewhat of a tradition. We'll visit it again this Saturday, after we leave his parents annual Scrooge Party. I can't wait - every year it gets a little bit different! Here's the official website for the street: http://christmasstreet.com/



If you live close enough to visit, I highly recommend it! It will definitely put you in a festive Christmas mood!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Ahhhh - I wish I could see it!! Thanks for the pics!

Kate said...

How fun! I've never heard of this. If I am still in DC next year I'll have to check it out

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog a while ago but don't think I've commented before. Thought this was a fun post b/c I'm from Hampden, born and raised!

Wila (aka Ali) said...

I live so close (well kinda), I wish I knew. Maybe I'll be able to get up there before New Year's. I actually love the hubcab tree...so quirky!!!

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs