As as soon as we bought our bed a few weeks ago, I knew I wanted to make a fabric covered headboard for it. I had seen the project on several blogs and it looked easy enough. Unfortunately for me, we are currently completely renovating our bathroom, so Jake refused to take on any other projects until that was done. Silly boy - he should know that I have NO patience and I would find a way to complete this project on my own.
So Monday, while I was off from work, I went to the fabric store and Home Depot and collected all my supplies. Armed with fabric, plywood, a staple gun and plenty of wine, we got to work and a couple hours (yikes!) later, we had a finished masterpiece! And I'm in love with it!!
I didn't take photos of our progress, but of course, I have pictures of the finished product:
I used a tanish-brown tweed wool material because I loved the texture and all the flecks of color in it.
Close up of the fabric.
We did nailhead trim around the headboard, as I had seen done on Emily's blog and fell in love with. Of course, I take a picture of the most messed up corner! But you really can't see the flaws too much and I think I'm going to play with it a bit more to get it to look a little bit straighter.
Now, I didn't DARE try to hang this puppy on the wall myself - that will be a Jake project for this weekend. However, I have no patience and wanted to see what it was going to look like, so we propped the headboard up on the mattress to see it with the bed. Don't worry, I moved it before I went to sleep last night! When it actually gets hung on the wall, it will be lower than in these pics.
Also, I love how the nailhead trim mimics the design on our duvet! Totally not something I planned or even thought about until I saw them together, but I love the way it looks!
A room shot of the bed - please don't judge our mismatched lamps and horrible old bedroom furniture. Oh, and the horribly wrinkled duvet and bedskirt...eek! We're getting there. The bedroom has been neglected since we moved in and we're finally getting around to making it pretty!
So that's my first DIY project for our house! It's definitely addictive and I want to do more! And I'm proud of myself for staying on a pretty tight budget for the whole project - under $50 for everything (including buying a heavy duty staple gun because we didn't have one)!
Cross your fingers Jake loves it when he gets home tonight!!